Friday, May 31, 2013

Open Mind, Closed Skull

Before You Read:
I wrote this post as an outlet for my frustration. This is long-winded vent, and I understand that it will be considered offensive to different types of people. If you're not interested in reading pretty strong criticism of Christianity, then don't read this post. I'm not going to apologize for my words.

✫ ✫ ✫

I'm a person who thinks about religious tolerance quite a lot. I consider the difficulties in finding balance between too much and too little tolerance (and am especially interested in the former). I'm also interested in finding out what tolerance really is, and how it differs from acceptance and also encouragement.

Religious tolerance and coexistence are widely desired and cultivated values within Paganism. There is a universal ideal of acceptance for all faiths or "paths" that many Pagans hold to be a foundational trait of one who is open-minded. The sentiment appears in several forms, such as, "All paths are valid and/or leading to the same goal," - "There is no one true way, and all ways deserve respect," - "There is an interfaith connectedness between all people," - "All is one," - and so on. I'm sure every Pagan has heard, and most believe, in practicing these values of acceptance. But when is a person too tolerant, too accepting, too open-minded? I imagine many people believe that there isn't such thing as too much acceptance and tolerance, but I disagree with that completely.
-Arthur Hays Sulzberger
It's intriguing to me that complete open-mindedness seems to only be applied to matters of religion. We're "allowed" (and encouraged) to be intolerant of racism, animal cruelty, homophobia, sexism. But if you're not accepting of Christianity or Wicca or Islam or Satanism, you're suddenly close-minded, a bigot. Why is there a protective line drawn around religion? Why is it held separate from the scrutiny and criticism to which all other beliefs and opinions are subjected? Why is religion a sacred topic? As Mark D. Jordan said, “Truly damaging speech cannot be excused just because it expresses genuine religious belief."

When I was still a practicing Wiccan, I was wholly tolerant. I accepted all religions and spiritualities and believed they were all leading to a common place of love for all people. If I witnessed someone's religion being criticized (usually online), I went to their defense, even becoming personally angry on behalf of people I thought were being targeted. This was regardless of their beliefs, and is something I did specifically when Christians were under attack. I was a member of a small, online Wiccan community, sort of like Facebook, and while a member of that site, I wrote blogs constantly about defending Christianity against those Pagans who openly criticize it. I look back at that time in my life (probably 19-21 years old), and I can't even believe my memories of myself.

I was completely blind -- blind to the prejudice, bigotry, and injustices being done by the people I was spending so much time defending. I was completely tolerant of intolerance, keeping my mind so open that my brain fell out in chunks, squashed on the floor. I ignored all the bad experiences both myself and my peers had, insisting that we can't judge all people for the bad actions of some. When I fell away from Wicca, and moved to the Bible Belt in 2010, I began to really solidify a change in how I define and exhibit tolerance, and this change has made me stronger and more confident than I ever was when I was trying to unconditionally love everyone.

I have to be honest now about the real focus of this post rant -- I dislike Christianity. I disagree with almost every tenet it espouses, and outside of a few psalms in the Old Testament, I consider the Bible to be a very destructive piece of literature. I believe YHWH to be a terrifyingly bloodthirsty god (I'd take the attention of the Morrígan or Pélé any day over his), and I've arrived at the opinion that Yeshua (Jesus) was a radical, apocalyptic prophet who disguised a call to war behind empty words of love. In my own life, almost all of the hatred, ignorance, and prejudice I've witnessed has been motivated by that god, that book, and that prophet, and I quit apologizing for and defending the actions of Christians in general years ago. I once accepted all Christians first, assumed immediately they were caring, loving, kind, non-judgmental. Now, I do my best to avoid them, and wait until they show by their actions that they are in fact full of unconditional love for their fellow humans. It's become an exercise in continued disappointment, with few examples that have changed my mind.

My house is visited almost weekly by all different churches, leaving pamphlets, knocking on my door, trying to spread the "good news." I went to a new dermatologist a few weeks ago, and within 20 minutes of entering the exam room, I was already being given flyers for a Christian class for college students (I'm never going back to that doctor again). I've been prayed to loudly on my own property by members of a group called the Christ Ambassadors -- one of them even grabbed the nose chain I was wearing, violating my personal space entirely. The rudeness with which these people treat others is really astonishing; it's happened to myself and I've seen it happen to others. And all of that is nothing compared to what is happening elsewhere in the world. I see church leaders protesting a Summer Solstice festival in Florida, pastors encouraging the murder and torture of children accused of witchcraft in Nigeria. Not to mention the Catholic sex abuse scandal, and now that the religion in general is starting to be more openly criticized, Christians are complaining about becoming a hated minority due to their anti-homosexual rhetoric and behavior. And while many say that these are fringe groups, that they don't represent rank-and-file Christians, nothing could be further from the truth, because those rank-and-file individuals hardly do anything to oppose the speech and actions of their leaders, especially publicly. They don't hold them accountable, and yet act offended when those of us on the outside affiliate them with the negative image that their hierarchy displays. Being tolerant of intolerance only perpetuates hatred.

That's why I can no longer defend Christianity, to others or to myself. There are some amazing Christians I've met, people I consider to be good friends (a couple are members of my family), but I no longer believe that most Christians are like them. They are the exception, and I wish that wasn't true, but it is. I barely need two hands to count the Christians I've met who don't proselytize or try to convert me and others. Those few Christians realize how offensive and divisive behavior like that is. They realize how behavior like that does not show love for fellow humans, only a desire to dominate and change them. A long rant like this wouldn't be necessary if all, or even most Christians were like the few that have taken the time to let me get to know them without the expectation  that I'll join them on Sundays. They've even invited me to speak about Pagan topics in order that they can learn more. They answer my questions in an honest and straightforward way, and remain welcoming without being pushy or expressing concern for my soul. It's incredibly refreshing to know them, especially while living in an area where a church van will park in my front yard and three people will stand on my porch trying to convince me to go to their church. And, as I've found out, adding my address to their mailing list without my consent.

Why should I be accepting of people like that? I think one of the fundamental practices of acceptance is "to live and let live." I only give out cards to my Pagan church to people who specifically inquire about Paganism. I don't go around town knocking on people's doors trying to convince them to attend Spirit of the Earth, and then fight them when they say no. While I would love to see the population of practicing Pagans grow, I'm not aware of any Pagans who are trying to actively cause that growth. The majority of the Christians in the United States do not live and let live, they do not practice tolerance and acceptance. It's not enough for them to just not attend the Summer Solstice festival in Florida, they have to do everything in their power to shut it down completely. It's not enough for them to send their children to private Christian schools, they also want the secular public to pay for a religious education with which they disagree. It's not enough for them to just be welcoming to the people who approach their churches on their own, instead they have to invade the private lives of their neighbors and attempt to scare them into attending.

So why should they be treated with respect and acceptance that they don't deserve? And why should we Pagans be trying so hard to remain accepting? We don't owe them anything. I tolerate their door-to-door "invitations" with politeness, but I no longer lie to them to spare their feelings at the expense of my own. I am tolerant of their existence, but I do not knowingly support or encourage their practice -- and simultaneously, I would never do anything to impede it, as long it was not interfering with my own way of life. That is what it means, to me, to live and let live, to be tolerant. It might make me harsh or a bitch, but I know my open mind is protected by a skull kept tightly closed.

It is possible (and really not very difficult) to hold strong religious convictions without needing them to be validated by millions worldwide, without having to constantly gather more and more followers to give your own beliefs weight. Pagans are living like this everyday. Regardless of religion, all people believe their personal practices or paths are the best -- we wouldn't be following them if they weren't -- and we should be strong and passionate enough that we don't need anyone else to believe our paths are the best along with us. We should have a confidence and self esteem that allows us to handle disagreement and be able to walk away from it, unoffended and without losing a step. And though I am biased, I see that most Pagans can do this, and we can do it politely and without being offensive ourselves. I'm often inspired by the way I see other Pagans dealing with highly offensive encounters with Christians. For example, another blogger posted this video recently (and I encourage any reader to watch it in entirety):


She is asked questions by this man that I've been faced with myself, and she responds gracefully despite the disrespect being thrown into her face by a stranger. She lives and let lives, even when faced with individuals who cannot do the same. She is a model for Pagans, illustrating beautifully the point at which I've tried to arrive with this whole rant: We can be tolerant without accepting, encouraging, or defending behavior we find abhorrent. We can politely defend ourselves against those who wish to attack and change us. We can be open-minded, but remain firm in our personal convictions. We can respond to rudeness with honesty and strength, and ultimately, we can coexist. We can walk away, shut the door, and move on without allowing insensitive, persistant people to invade our lives.

I'm trying to become better at this everyday. I started out so accepting that I would let anyone walk all over me and still try to defend and respect them. I know better now -- I'm no longer intimidated or angered by the offensive Christians I encounter in my daily life, and I also can tolerate them without being accepting or supportive. The type of encounters you experience living in the Bible Belt require a lot of patience, and sometimes it takes a rant like this to vent the frustration that results from such encounters. Compassion and understanding are important virtues, but they should not be extended unconditionally. It's important to speak out against what you believe is detrimental or wrong, and I'm glad that I've overcome my own fear of doing so. I hope more Pagans, and more rank-and-file Christians who are unhappy with how their religion is being portrayed, will do the same.

To those few exceptional Christians I've met: thank you for being confident enough in yourselves that my own confidence does not threaten you. To the Christians who can't be the same, get off my porch, stop flooding my mailbox, and kindly stay out of my life.

8 comments:

  1. I really took pleasure with what you had to say today, Katharine, and I thank you for directing anyone else who might be reading what you posted, over to the blog in which I have!!!

    Oh . . . and I just love your new blog header photo!!!

    Have a wonderful day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for reading, I know it was a bit long to get through. And don't mention the link; I always try to credit when possible.

      Delete
  2. I'm totally confuzzled about Jesus calling people to war?

    But I totally agree with you about a LOT of people being jerks and using religion as an excuse for their bigotry, hate, xenophobia, etc. I see it happen in our country mostly in those who identify as Christians, presumably because it's the "default" religion as it were. Plus a lot of the political organizations get conflated with religious organizations and vice-versa, e.g. the Catholic church.

    And I wish people of all religions would be willing to condemn the horrible stuff done in the name of their religion. I try to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's a matter of personal interpretation. For the most part, Jesus *says* peaceful things, but then his actions can be violent, or at least spiteful.

      "Making a whip of cords, he drove all of them out of the temple, both the sheep and the cattle." John 2:15

      "Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother . . . etc. Those who lose their life for my sake will find it." Matthew 10:34-39

      Not to mention all the stuff he's supposed to do when he comes back, as detailed in Revelation.

      And there was that part where Peter cut off the soldier's ear with the sword and Jesus scolded him for doing so, but Jesus told him to get the swords in the first place..

      I don't know. I probably worded my original post a little strongly, but this frustration has been building for months (really years, but it's gotten very severe since moving to my new house) with the constant conversion attempts. I am so low key about my personal practice -- there is absolutely nothing on my house or in my yard, except for a bumper sticker on my car that says "Blessed Be." I'm just really sick of being harassed by these people when I've done nothing offensive at all. They aren't even people who live on my street. It's three different churches I've been able to identify now, they drive over, and literally park in my yard. They do visit all the houses, but I think because I say, "No, thank you, I'm not Christian," instead of just quietly accepting their reading material that they seem to be coming back so often.

      Anyway, I'm starting to rant again. I just hope you realize that you and Erin were included in the small group of people to whom this wasn't directed, and everything I've said doesn't reflect how I feel about you guys.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the response! I wasn't offended by what you wrote at all. I understood it was a rant because of how some people were treating you. I've also gotten EXTREMELY frustrated in conversations with Christians who are unloving, judgmental, and pretty much crazy. Fortunately I've never had any run-ins with Westboro "Baptist" "Church", that strange cult that basically tries to be as obnoxious as possible and then sues people who try to stop them.

    I was just unfamiliar with that theory about Jesus so I was curious about it. The Matthew section you provided (Matthew 10:34-39) certainly does seem suspicious, but obviously I have a different interpretation for it. This isn't the time or place to go into that.

    Anyway, I'm sorry people treat you badly, it sounds incredibly frustrating. I was involved in a group set up by a chaplain in the military, composed roughly of 50% Christians and 50% pagans trying to get more communication and understanding going on between the two groups, and it really opened my eyes to how badly many Christians treat those of other religions like that. The stereotypes and stuff are just awful. What especially irritates me is the Christian crowd who keep harping on "freedom of religion" but in their actions are trying to make Christianity the official religion.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've often been told that I take that Matthew passage too literally... I think it's a little funny how certain passages are expected to be understood literally while others are understood to be figurative. But I guess that's why there are so many sects, in an religion.

      I'm not familiar with any groups like that in the military, that sounds so interesting and I'd really like to research it more. Pagans in the military can have a pretty rough time, but it seems like things are getting better. The pentacle has been allowed on headstones for a while now, and a few weeks ago a Thor's hammer emblem was approved. But anyway, I try really hard not to stereotype, but it gets difficult when you start having more bad experiences than good. And the people I'm having run-ins with *aren't* like the Westboro church -- they're just random, small churches around town. Minus the Episcopalians; I spend a lot of time with them and the priest has even come over and helped me with simple things like jumping my car. They're really great.

      And yes, it's very frustrating that *those* Christians think they're religion is constantly under attack and they're calling for freedom of religion, but then clearly act in such a way that they believe freedom of religion only extends to them.. I just keep hoping that Christianity will start to change from within, it would be awesome to start having more good experiences!

      Delete
  4. Your Rant reminds me of how all my friends reacted when I said we were moving south. They all said that I would get inundated with the Come to my church. I haven't been out all that much so I've only encountered the "What church do you go to," once. I'm sure I will get more of it soon.
    I decided before I moved here to say that it is in Nashville. Far enough away and recognizable that they can leave it alone.
    Although I should just tell them I'm Catholic, that could be even more fun. (Went to Catholic High School and my brother converted - oh well.)

    Before we moved south I had some fairly religious neighbors, although they never pestered us. One of the sons asked us which church we went to and my husband said, we don't go to church. The young man look surprised and said that we were some of the nicest people he knew. We responded, "You don't have to go to church to know how to be a good person."

    In Michigan it is usually only the Jehovah's Witnesses or the Mormon's that come knocking on your door. We are more keep to yourself type people. Lots of churches but a little more tolerance for where you go.
    Also, you don't really want to show up at the house of a Rabbi and get the Torah thrown back at you. LOL
    As I totally appreciate your rant, the issue of most Christians being intolerant seems to get worse the farther south you go in the United States. This truly is the Bible belt and I think they take that very seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where I live in NJ, there are churches, but they're all either Catholic or Lutheran or Presbyterian. And none of them care about anything else unless it's among themselves (Catholics vs. Roman Catholics, etc). Up there, I've only ever had the JW's or the Mormons, but that happened maybe 2-3 times over 10 years. And they just leave you alone as soon as you say no. The Baptists down here literally fight me on the issue when I say I'm not interested. It's so frustrating, and I really need my trips up north to get away from Christianity as much as I can, hahah.

      Delete