Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Beginning "Someday's Garden"

Yesterday evening, I finally got started on a project I've been researching and planning since January -- the container garden on my deck. I'm only just beginning and I have a long way to go, but it's amazing how much of a difference such a tiny addition of plants makes to a space.


My friend Lauren and I went to Lowe's yesterday to get some supplies. I ended up choosing the African Marigold (Tagetes erecta) and the Jaguar Gerbera Daisy (Gerbera jamesonii) that were already grown, and I got bulbs for Harlequin Flowers (Sparaxis tricolor) and Persian Buttercups (Ranunculus asiaticus) to plant myself. I'm also still waiting for my delivery of Bleeding Hearts from my professor, and I need to get my Philodendron transferred to a new pot.

Lauren has named this one "Betty," and I think it works!
I really hope the bulbs I planted will grow well. I'm so determined to lose my black thumb forever. Sitting outside in the spring air, working on digging and arranging, with the smell of the soil and the sounds of the birds everywhere, it's totally cathartic. Gardening is such a healing, relaxing activity and I'd feel so sad if all my efforts don't provide anything. I have many more plans for my new container garden than just flowers; I really want this to be a way to save money and live more honestly.

And I think I've got my current list decided on the harvestable plants I'd like to grow. Tomatoes obviously do very well in containers, and I've read some blogs lately detailing growing cucumbers in containers. I didn't think that would be possible, but it even seems to be pretty simple. In addition to those, I'd like to set up basil, rosemary, lavender, thyme, mint, sage, and parsley. I'm also thinking about chives, but I don't cook with them often so I'm not sure how much it would be worth it, though their flowers are beautiful. I'm afraid to start any of these from seed however; I've just had terrible luck in the past. So hopefully soon, Lauren and I can visit the University greenhouses and see if they are selling any that have already started growing. 



I've also been looking a lot on Pinterest for ideas on what types of markers I want to put in all my containers. There are lots of cute ideas like spoons with etching, little carved sticks, clothespins, etc. I think I would want to make them little painted rocks, or maybe something out of tin. I'll have to see if I can find a good source for reclaimed wood or maybe little trinkets I can modify from the Peddler's Mall. There are lots of creative opportunities.

It's really fulfilling to me that I've started doing this, especially when the plans began a while ago. It's hard for me to stay focused on projects, but this is something I've wanted to do for a while, even though it's just been hanging out in the back of my head for years. I got a huge new kick of inspiration from a fellow church member at Ostara. He blessed all the seeds and plants that were brought to ritual, and asked how many of us are practicing self sufficiency or considering small changes in that direction, whether through gardening, animal husbandry, etc. I think I am a part of that world -- I work on farm animals sometimes and help out where I can -- but I need to be so much more involved in it.

I think it's so important that Pagans be involved in outdoor activities, and interaction with plants. They are the best way to be in touch with the Earth, and they give so much living energy to everything, from just bringing some cheery color to our spaces, to added power in our magical practices (I'm using plants more often than I ever have in my witchcraft), to food for our bodies, and oxygen for our lungs. After having spent last evening and some time this morning with my new flowers, I find it shocking that there are so many Pagans out there, myself included, who aren't doing any kind of gardening work regularly, and I'm going to change that, at least for myself. There is way too much wisdom in flora that can be learned just by spending with them -- the kind of things you can't describe or even speak about at all. It's intuition, and compassion, and magic. 

So stay tuned for more updates on my containers. I also need to ask my landlord if I can plant in the front yard. There is a gorgeous, small section where flowers can be planted along my walkway, so I'll have to find out if I'll be allowed. I'm sure I will be writing a lot about my experience with this new activity, as it is already changing my life. As I'm writing this right now, I can look out the window and see my new flowers on the deck, catching the light and giving me color. It's so nice to be able to look up and just watch them for a while. It feels like a new little family, and I can't wait for it to grow larger.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness this is so beautiful and awesome. Makes me want to grow a garden :)

    "Betty" is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get some plants! I'm so excited to get my deck eventually filled with all different pots and flowers.

      Delete