Sunday, April 14, 2013

G r a t i t u d e + S u n d a y

In my continued effort to be more positive and work toward self improvement, I'm joining Taryn at Wooly Moss Roots for Gratitude Sunday. In her words: "Sunday's heartfelt tradition. A time to slow down, to reflect, to be grateful. A list of gratitudes."

This week, I am grateful for:

* -- a certain item I found at a thrift store while looking for bottles to hold my Florida Water. It's become a new DIY project for me, but I don't want to say anything about it until it's finished. I've been photographing the whole process from the beginning.

* -- Clint bringing over some tools in order for me to work on my secret DIY project! I wouldn't be able to do it at all without him lending me some things.

* -- the buds growing on my trees in my front yard. I have a pair of trees that create a canopy over my front walkway. They're one of my favorite things about my house (and I don't even know what they are; I need to find that out!) and they've looked so tired and sad without leaves. They are becoming filled with little, green, hanging buds and pollen. I can't wait until they are in full bloom with leaves!

* -- seeing a little House Wren land on my deck, and then watching it curl up in the soil in the pot holding my Jaguar Daisies. He shook his feathers and wings in the dust for a few seconds and just sat there in the leaves. It was so cute. What a perfect time to look out my window at my plants!

* -- some time spent in the garden center at work. I really hate my job, but it's easier to stay there than having to find another place and have to go through training all over again. For a few hours on Friday, I got to cover the garden center and I spent that time learning as much as I could between helping customers. One of the guys I work with gave me lots of advice and encouragement for my containers, and made some suggestions on how to change my watering schedule. I hope his suggestions work!

* -- coupons. I've seen some episodes of that show Extreme Couponing and a lot of it makes me angry. Those people are buying things they don't need or use just because they have coupons for it. And although some of them donate their extra items, most of them create enormous stockpiles and keep it all for themselves, even though it will never be used. One woman on the show even bought tons of bags of cat treats, doesn't own a cat, and was just keeping them because she got them for free with coupons. But anyway, I've started collecting coupons on my own, trying to find ones for items I buy all the time and things I like to treat myself to once in a while. The other day, I made my grocery list and tried to use as many coupons as I could for needed items. I ended up saving $17, even getting an entire carton of eggs for free, paying only $4 for a $9 bottle of vitamins, and other discounts. I know that doesn't sound like a lot of money, but $17 is almost two meals, half a tank of gas, or around 10 items of clothing at a thrift store. So I was happy about that and definitely going to continue!

* -- getting two exams out of the way during this past week of class. I have a little more time to catch up on other things I'm reading. I like to spend my breaks at work catching up on books, so now I can do that for a few days guilt-free, because I won't be blowing off study time.

* -- a fun party Friday night after work. It was a friend's birthday, I got to hang out with some people I don't see often, and saw a really cool band play. I wish I had more time to get out.

* -- my mom sending an early birthday present. She always finds amazing things, I don't know how! This year, she sent me another Tibetan-style bell, the second year in a row. They have beautiful designs and I love their tones. I hung the one from last year out on my deck in my container garden area. It's a little heavy, so the wind doesn't make it ring too often, but I love hearing that little sound every once in a while. I'm so excited watching my deck become a new sanctuary at my house. If only I could get the wasps to go away!!

4 comments:

  1. The trees over your walkway must be beautiful!!!

    And I just love the look of your bell!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm going to get a photo of them as soon as they start blooming. And thank you, I don't know how my mom finds these treasures~

      Delete
  2. Another beautiful post my friend. I love house wrens. I haven't seen them in forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are my favorites of all the little yard birds and I have a lot this year hanging around!

      Delete