Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Juicing!

I'm so exhausted, I can't even believe it. But there are sources of energy, even if for a few moments by yourself : fruit! and juicing that fruit!

This is my juicer. She hasn't yet been named.
Can you spot Sól's nose?
I only began juicing maybe two or three months ago. I bought this one on clearance for $24, and I've been experimenting since then. I've found the more simpler recipes to suit me better, like above: nothing but strawberries, grapes, and an apple. The first time I ever juiced, I was throwing carrots, grapefruits, ginger, apples, grapes, tomatoes -- all kinds of things in there. I've since learned a bit about restraint, the "less is more" rule. Something I love about juicing though, and it kind of reminds me of photography in this way, is that every time you do it, you learn more and fine tune your abilities, or at least your intuition. Maybe that's the fruit rush talking.


I put the strawberries in first. I so wish that I could transmit the amazing smell over the internet. The whole kitchen filled with it instantly. I put the grapes in next, and finished with the apple. One of my favorite things about apples is the little pentagram inside.


Sól wanted to check out the apples too! He's a very curious dog and loves to be involved in anything that I'm doing.

Can you tell I haven't fixed my clippers yet?

Beautiful juice! I'm always completely in love with the colors of the finished juice. There is no way a camera could ever accurately show them. My strawgrapple was a gorgeous, rich, dark, salmon color.


So good! 

Don't look at the bags under my eyes!!
If you haven't ever tried juicing, do it!! It is sososo much better than any juice you will get from concentrate. I haven't drank store-bought juice since I bought my juicer.

Even before I bought my juicer, I was considering and toying with the idea of someday doing a juice fast. I've heard many wonderful and many terrible experiences with it. I know that at this point in my life, my body could never handle the commitment. And no, I haven't yet watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead (2010), but I plan to do so, as I continue to research the idea. I've always believed that fasting is an important spiritual practice, and as I strive for a deeper spiritual discipline, I've been thinking of ways to incorporate fasting such that it will be safe and complementary to my current high-stress lifestyle. At the moment though, I really feel it's something I need to procrastinate.

For any readers who stop by, do you have any experience with juicing and/or juice fasting? Or know any good blogs on the subject? I'm always looking for personal accounts about such topics. Happy juicing!

No comments:

Post a Comment